Bastings can be made using lemon juice, butter and other flavourings like Cajun, pesto, Thai sweet chilli sauce, apricot jam and tapenade.
- 1 Braai ready Line Fish (Kabeljou, Yellowtail, Red Fish)
- Danie’s Lemon Butter
- Easy Option – try one of Danie’s Braai Sauces
- Oil the fish on both sides to prevent sticking to the grid, baste skin side with butter or sauce.
- Place fish on a hinged braai-grid and braai over moderate coals. (height test – keep hand for 10sec over coals)
- Braai fish on skin side, basting constantly with either butter or sauce. Use some fresh herbs tied into a brush for extra flavour
- When fish is done (test – if the flesh flakes, is white, but still moist) turn over on flesh side to brown.
- Place a tray over the fish and turn slowly to prevent fish from breaking.
- Open grid and place a tray over the skin side of the fish, close grid and turn slowly to prevent fish from breaking.
- Take care not to overcook – fish needs slow, gentle medium to low heat.
- Choose the cut of fish and method of braaing – whole, or filleted, on a hinged braai-grid (so that it can be turned), or in foil parcels directly on the coals